How to apply for the East African Tourist Visa? At only $100
The East African Tourist Visa is joint Visa allowing Visitors to travel across Uganda, Rwanda and Kenya for 90 days for tourism purposes. You must have a valid tour plan to apply and it is advised to use the issuing country as the entry point.
This visa is issued solely for tour related activities/stay and it is non-renewable upon expiry while still in the land. You can use the East African Tourist Visa to cross boarders of Uganda, Rwanda and Kenya multiple times so long as you are on a safari.
Where do you get the East African Tourist Visa?
The East African Visa can be applied for online via;
How to Apply for an East African Tourist Visa?
You can apply for the East African Tourist Visa through one of the embassies/Consulates of Uganda, Rwanda or Kenya or you can easily apply for it online. The easiest and most recommended way is through the country online portal (links shared above). It takes a day to a week for a Visa to be granted and below is the process.
Steps for Applying for an East African Tourist Visa online via Uganda.
- Log into the Immigration Portal and select start new application
- Accept the terms and conditions displayed in the Disclaimer.
- Select the visa or permit type, category and sub category (East African Tourist Visa)
- Complete the application form
- Upload the required documents; Travel itinerary, Vaccination Certificate, copy of recent Passport Size Photograph & a Copy of the passport. A 6-digit application ID e.g. (123456) is automatically generated as the reference number
- Make online payment for application. The system only accepts MasterCard and Visa cards with a surcharge of 3%.
- Upon approval, an approval letter will be generated and emailed to the applicant on the home page
- Upon approval, after payments, an approval letter is generated and emailed to the client
- On arrival, Report to the immigration office/ border for biometric capture with all documents uploaded, payment receipts, approval letter and passport.
Requirements or Attachments needed for Applying
An applicant should hold genuine travel documents valid not less than 6 months.
- Copy of the passport Bio-data page
- Copy of recent Passport Size Photograph
- A Valid Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate
- A copy of flight details – Return Ticket
- A well detailed Tour plan/Travel Itinerary
- An application fee of USD 100, non-refundable
- Any other documents may be required on course of the application
The visa is valid for months (90 days) from the date of issuing.
Note: The documents submitted must be in English language and the files to be attached should be in PDF, JPG, or Microsoft word format.
Frequently Asked Questions about East African Tourist Visas
- How much is the East African Tourist Visa?
The visa costs USD $100 that is non-refundable and must be paid before the Visa is processed.
- What do I need to get the Visa?
There are 5 main requirements all scanned; a valid passport, recent passport photo, a yellow fever vaccination card, a travel itinerary and a return ticket.
- How long does it take to get my Visa?
Usually, it takes a day to 3 days if everything was filled in correctly and the information is valid.
- Do I need a third-party software or individual to apply for the East African Visa?
No. All the 3 countries have official visa processing websites where you can apply from and the links are shared above.
- Do I get refund on my Visa application?
The East African Tourist Visa fee is not returned in case one cancels their application.
- How many countries do the East African Tourist Visa apply to?
They are 3 countries, that is; Rwanda, Kenya and Uganda.
- Can I modify my application?
Modifications cannot be done when the Visa processing is on, your application cannot be modified unless additional information is requested by the Immigration Officer that is analyzing it.
- Am I able to cancel my Visa application?
You can easily cancel your application at any stage although money paid for the Visa is not refunded.
- Are my credit card details safe?
The Visa application platforms do not store any credit card information after transactions.
- Which nationalities are Visa exempt in Uganda?
Rwanda, Tanzania, Kenya, Burundi, Ghana, Angola, Zimbabwe, Cyprus, Eritrea, Malawi, Antigua, Barbados, Fiji, Swaziland, Zambia, Comoros, Mauritius, Madagascar, Seychelles, Grenada, Lesotho, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, St. Vincent-Tonga, The Grenadines, Vanuatu, Bahamas, Belize, Gambia, Jamaica, Malta and Singapore
For all the questions and answers you might be looking for about applying for the Visa, visit Uganda immigration help center.
Our Top East Africa Safaris
8 Days Rwanda and Uganda Wildlife Tour
This East Africa tour will lead you out for game drives, boat cruise, golden monkey trekking and Batwa trail in Rwanda and Ugandan parks; Akagera national park, Mgahinga national park, Queen Elizabeth national park, and lake Mburo national park… View Tour
15 Days Uganda Rwanda Safari
This outstanding and exclusive 15 days Uganda Rwanda Safari offers visitors a detailed as well as unsurpassed opportunity of enjoying gorilla trekking experiences in Rwanda’s Volcanoes National Park and Uganda’s Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, cultural experiences of both countries… View Tour